Women's Lacrosse: Seniors Have Their Moment, Drop Keene in Overtime in LEC Win

Women's Lacrosse:  Seniors Have Their Moment, Drop Keene in Overtime in LEC Win

Photo by Nick McAneny

MANSFIELD, Conn. – Katie Burke  helped Eastern back from two goals down in the final seven minutes by scoring twice in less than a minute, then won the match with her fourth goal of the game with 1:24 gone in sudden death overtime as the Eastern Connecticut State University women's lacrosse team edged Keene State College, 14-13, Saturday afternoon in a Little East Conference match on Seniors' Day at the Mansfield Outdoor Complex.

Averaging over 14 goals per game, Keene (7-7, 3-1 LEC) was held to three goals as Eastern (8-6, 3-1 LEC) raced to a three-goal halftime lead. The Warriors led by five with 20 minutes left before the Owls charged back, scoring six unanswered goals to move into a 13-11 lead with 8:35 left.

Leading by two, Keene won the ensuing draw but turned it over and Burke cut the gap to one, 13-12, with seven minutes left. Alyssa Powers caused a Keene turnover soon after and Burke forced overtime with a goal on an assist from Tristan Kijak with 6:080 left.

In the final 30 seconds of regulation Keene had a man-up opportunity with a chance to win the contest but sent two free-position shots wide.

Eastern's Maggie Bodington corralled her 11th draw control of the match in overtime and the Warriors never gave up possession, punching in the game-winner with 1:24 gone on Burke's free-position shot.

It marked the fourth straight time that the teams have played a one-goal decision, Eastern winning for the third straight time, second in overtime.

Burke led Eastern with four goals, Kijak adding three goals and two assists and Jenna Glynn three goals. Glynn and Kijak each caused three turnovers and Taylor Behn picked up four ground balls, Burke and Michelina Pinto three each.

Winning goalie Jessica Purick stopped 15 shots – one shy of her career-high – with two saves coming in succession inside ten minutes after Keene had tied the game, 11-11 during a 15-minute run when it outscored the Warriors 10-2.

Second-year Division I transfer Chelsea Lewis led Keene with six goals and an assist on 15 shots, with Tori Weinstock winning six draws and Tess Masci four. Tara Kilderry forced five turnovers and Morgan Gilman picked up five ground balls. Anna O'Brien stopped 11 shots in net for Keene.

Limited to two goals in the first half, Lewis picked it up in the second half, scoring four times in a span of eight minutes to spark her team from five goals back. Lewis scored two in 40 seconds to make it 10-7 and her team-leading 48th goal of the year on an assist from Gabby Smith capped Keene's comeback and pulled it into an 11-11 tie with 11:24.  Smith gave Keene its first lead, 12-11, with 9:15 left and Megan Gorham's  only goal of the match less than a minute later pushed the Owls into a two-goal, 13-11 lead with 8:35 left.

With two LEC regular-season games left, Eastern and Keene share second place, a game behind defending playoff champion Plymouth State University.

Eastern visits Rhode Island College Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. in a conference match.