Men's Soccer: Sputtering Offense Sends Warriors to Third Straight Loss Against Gordon

Men's Soccer: Sputtering Offense Sends Warriors to Third Straight Loss Against Gordon

 WENHAM, Mass. – Playing its first road match in 16 days, the Eastern Connecticut State University men's soccer team was limited to three shots  in losing to Gordon College for the third straight season, 2-1, in a non-conference match Tuesday afternoon at The Quad.

Following a three-game winning streak, Eastern (4-3-0) has dropped its last two overall and fell to 0-3-0 all-time against Gordon (3-4-0) away from Nevers Field. The Fighting Scots ended a two-game losing streak.

Junior Ian Burkhart's first goal of the season in the 14th minute gave the hosts an early lead, the goal coming when the Eastern defense headed a serve down but not out of the box, and Burkhart lofted it over the head of Eastern junior keeper Ryan Murphy (Cromwell). Senior Josh Cochran's second of the year ten minutes into the second half gave the hosts a two-goal cushion, the marker coming on a cross from junior Collin Surface, with Cochran slotting it into the bottom right of the net.

The Warriors finally ended a streak of 185 scoreless minutes when senior captain JD Stearns' (Bolton) first goal of the season (fifth of his career) on a pass from senior Justin Grant (Cromwell) cut the deficit in half and gave Eastern late life. The final 2:39 was eventful, however.

Gordon outshot Eastern, 18-3, forcing Murphy into making a season-high nine saves. Gordon freshman keeper Wesley Sprague made two stops for his third win of the year.

Eastern  returns to Little East Conference action Saturday at noon at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. The teams have played to 1-0 decisions each of the last three seasons and in four of the last five years, Eastern ending a two-game losing streak last year at Nevers Field when it opened its LEC season by scoring in the final ten minutes, with Emmanuel Caicedo heading in Stearns' long serve.